Saturday, January 23, 2016

Day One-- Purpose or Porpoise?

Day One- Purpose or Porpoise? January 23 2016

I used to teach a session for budding leaders that talked about focusing on one's strengths instead of working on minimizing the weaknesses.  As part of that conversation there was a long section on how many hours it would take to be a master.

The current wisdom is 10,000 hours.  10,000 hours of perfect practice to be a concert violinist, a Tiger Woods (before the tragic character fall), or a Joe Montana.
However, is it the same for writers?  Given the fact that I have been in school since I was 4 and now I am 47, isn't it most likely that in 43 years, after high school, college, med school, the rise of email,  business school, my various careers, writing books and articles that I have spent 10,000 hours writing?
Roughly that would break down to about 39 minutes a day for the past 43 years.  In truth, given all of the "education" I have had, its probably far more hours than 10,000 hours.

So what does matter for a writer?  How does one become 'Tiger Words" if you will?  I read on someone's blog that it takes a million words.  A million words written with intent and focus.
Hmm, that makes sense.
I read in Stephen King's book, On Writing, that he writes 10 pages a day, or about 2,000 words. Every day.   That's a lot-- especially for someone who has a "real job."  So what is do-able?  5,000 words a week.  That is about 20 pages of writing.

This blog is my accountability to the project.  Its a space to watch my progression and to document the transition from amateur to master...Technically at 5,000 words per week, it would take 3.8 years.
I've got the time.  I have a plan.

I want to be in the same class as JK Rowling, but I don't want to write just like her.  I want to write just like me.  This is a space to explore what that is and to build the skills to get there.

I'm inviting you on the journey with me.

Wish us all luck and mastery-- and with 360 words down, only 999,640 to go!!!




1 comment:

  1. Question for my readers: In your experience, what is the best way to become a master at something?

    ReplyDelete